Following our popular post on our TOXIC WORLD and GLOBAL WARMING, until we get our pollution problem under control (which will probably only come from a reduction in capitalism and consumerism), perhaps we can start with what we CAN control, with that which is within our reach – OUR DIET. Aside from the OBVIOUS toxins that enter our body as a result of our food choices including but not limited to overly processed foots, pesticides, the majority of fast foods…here are the top 10 foods to ELIMINATE from your diet as they INCREASE the risk of getting cancer:
- All charred food, which create heterocyclic aromatic amines, known carcinogens. Even dark toast is suspect.
- Well-done red meat. Medium or rare is better, little or no red meat is best.
- Sugar, both white and brown–which is simply white sugar with molasses added. (See Care2’s Directory of Natural Sweeteners for great, healthy alternatives.)
- Heavily salted, smoked and pickled foods, which lead to higher rates of stomach cancer.
- Sodas/soft drinks, which pose health risks, both for what they contain–sugar and various additives–and for what they replace in the diet–beverages and foods that provide vitamins, minerals and other nutrients.
- French fries, chips and snack foods that contain trans fats.
- Food and drink additives such as aspartame.
- Excess alcohol.
- Baked goods, for the acrylamide.
- Farmed fish, which contains higher levels of toxins such as PCBs.
From the book Cancer: 101 Solutions to a Preventable Epidemic (The Solutions Series) (New Society Publishers, 2007) by Liz Armstrong et al, the No. 4 solution is “Eat a Healthy Diet.”
Wondering what TO eat:
- Cruciferous vegetables: Broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, bok choy and kale. These score high for containing many anti-cancer substances, such as isothiocyanates.
- Globe artichoke for very high levels of salvestrols.
- Dark greens, such as spinach and romaine lettuce, for their fiber, folate and a wide range of cancer-fighting carotenoids. Other dark colored veggies, too, such as beets and red cabbage.
- Grapes and red wine, especially for the resveratrol.
- Legumes: beans, peas and lentils, for the saponins, protease inhibitors and more.
- Berries, particularly blueberries, for the ellagic acid and anthocyanosides.
- Flaxseed, especially if you grind it yourself and consume when fresh, for the essential fatty acid alpha-linolenic acid, lignans and other “good fats.”
- Garlic, onions, scallions, leeks and chives, for many anti-cancer substances including allicin.
- Green tea, for its anti-cancer catechins, a potent anti-oxidant.
- Tomatoes, for the famous flavenoid lycopene.
Until we have a government or elected representatives that care as much about our health as they do about lobbyists and ensuring that money continues flowing into their re-election campaigns, we will no doubt be responsible for doing our own research and making our own choices. If we don’t look out for our own well being, who will? Not the pharmaceutical companies and not the health insurance giants.
Pay attention to what you eat – give it a try and who knows…perhaps you’ll feel better, have more energy, have less medical issues.We cannot blame anyone save our ourselves for the choices we make about our health and well being.